+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sigma Lens info or experience needed

Sigma Lens info or experience needed

Does anybody here have an opinion on this lens Sigma 18-200 mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS: Digital Photography Review

I was told by a camera rep that it beat out the CANON EF 28-135 F 3.5-5.6 IS USM in a consumer reports writeup hands down but i was unable to find that info. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Images
    Well I havent used the 18-200 Sigma OS... but I will give you my overall opinion on sigma and my experiences.

The Canon 28-135IS is a very effective lens for a carry around both on 1.3x and 1.6x cameras. I currently have it in my line up and it does a great job, after using it a bit the only downside I have is that the IS is a little jumpy when shooting in Ai-Servo which I do almost all the time.

Sigma is a great company, and has great customer support. With a newly designed lens I would have no quams about buying one, and I am still considering the Sigma fisheye over the Canon because of price. Sigmas only downside is that if you are buying a lens to keep "forever" you may find you will have to send it in periodically to be rechipped (which they normally do for free) because obviously Canon is not going to give out build secrets to Sigma so they can design lenses. So with that everything Sigma does is one step behind Canon since they have to reverse engineer their products. Does that really make a difference? Not really as long as you get the newest updated lens (if you are using a new camera). I think before purchaseing this lens I would see if you can find a store that has them in stock and try them out on your camera. At the minimum I would take a CF card with you and try on a similar camera. Take the results home and take a look to see how the curvature is on the wide angle, and see if its acceptable to you. With that much of a range you *may* find some extra softness on the long end which seems to be the way when you go wide to tele. I personally have never felt it was terrible on any lens I have had, but its all personal preference when it comes to spending hundreds of dollars.

Hope that helps!
    Ross Mealey
    Canon Professional Services Member

Images
    Ahhhh buy the siggie ( so I can see how the OS works!) lol J/K but i am curious! I have the 28-135 and love it.. I do! its like my fave, well, that and my 17-40L either one or the other is practically welded to my camera! good luck in what looks to be a hard decision...
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    Wow, I wasn't aware that Sigma had an image stabilization feature available. I have two Sigma lenses. 15mm Fisheye and 120-300 f/2.8. The fisheye performs very well and I have no complaints. The only issue is that the lens cap is kind of bizaare and wears the paint off the hood in normal use. The 120-300 focus speed is quite slow in comparison to the big Canon zooms, however the cost differential is substantial ... $x,xxx. The original mount on this lens was way undersized also, and it can't focus while you are zooming. All that said, it is still a very good lens that I use from time to time.... because of its zoom range and constant f/2.8. If Canon made this lens it would be probably twice the size and at least twice the price, but would be a better lens.

I don't know anything about the Sigma you are looking at, so I'd recommend watching for reviews on how people are liking it as it becomes more widely used. I would be surprised if it isn't a good performer.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by convergent
    Wow, I wasn't aware that Sigma had an image stabilization feature available.
    This lens will be the second or third lens with it... the first being the Sigma 80-400OS to combat the Canon 100-400L and Nikons 80-400VR...
    Ross Mealey
    Canon Professional Services Member

Images
    I've never shot the Sigma you're looking at, but did own the Canon 28-135 IS. That's a good lens, but I sold it in favor of my Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC. I needed something wider than 28mm on the 20D. I love the Sigma, and think it yeilds better shots that the IS did. I personally hardly ever used the IS on the lens, so it wasn't needed. I needed the wider angle more. The other Sigma I've got is the 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, and that is one of my favorite lenses. Overall I'm happy with my two Sigmas. I've also got a pair of Canon lenses (70-200mm f/4L and 50mm f/1.8), both of which are superb lenses. I've also got a Tamron (28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 XR) that's good for macro work. I've found that it's a touch soft, even at f/8 - f/11 and smaller and it's pretty darned sharp.

If you've only got one body, and don't plan on upgrading in the near future, then the Sigmas should do fine. Ross is correct that Sigma is good about rechipping lenses (newer ones, I've heard, can be updated via software and don't need the actual chip removed, but I think still needs to be done by Sigma), but I've never had to do that. Mine are newer ones and work just fine on my 20D and Elan 7 (film).
    Tom Nanos
    ---------------------------------------------
    Northeast US Rail Photography

NanosPhoto.com
    Volunteer/Photographer - CT Eastern Railroad Museum
    My Published Photography Portfolio
    My Railroad Photo Blog
    NECCC Digital Coordinator - The Windham (CT) Photography Club
    My stock photography at Alamy

Feel free to give me any feedback, good or bad, on any photo I post.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly"
    Thomas Paine, The Crisis, December 23, 1776

Images
    whats this new siggie gonna cost? anyone know yet? Im dying to know what it costs, how it shoots and how this OS works..is it good, as good as the canon IS??
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Quote Originally Posted by zacker
    whats this new siggie gonna cost? anyone know yet? Im dying to know what it costs, how it shoots and how this OS works..is it good, as good as the canon IS??
    i purchased it yesterday for just over $425 but i noticed it on ebay a little less on a buy it now. I should have the lens tommorrow. Since im just getting into this stuff and am an amature i won't be able to give much of a review on it right away.

Tom

I have that lens, and it is very seldom off my camera, as a matter of fact most of the photos I've posted here were taken with it. The only diff. on mine is that it does not have the IS feature, other than that everything is the same and Most of all my shots are handheld. This photo here was taken with that lens handheld at ISO 400, 1/90 at f9.5 at 18mm according to the EXIF.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5364
    The name is Winston, but please call me Sandy, and never late for dinner.
    http://flowingriverphotos.com

""Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields

I am not a big fan of Sigma, mainly due to the fact that their Quality Dept. is extremely lenient and lets go of many real lemons. I've been interested in two different Sigma lenses so far and both of them had problems with tests for focusing at infinity (left part of the picture was focused and the right part was defocused - or the other way around).

Nevertheless, I know a guy on another forum, who uses Sigma 18-200 exclusively and posts consistently great pictures.

So, I would say, it's a matter of chance. You can get a great bargain or a stinkin' lemon.
    Regards,
    blairblaiss

Dyson "Slim" vacuum with accessory suckers;
    Kitchen Aid double-capacity toaster!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information